Friday, June 06, 2008

ARGH!!!

I had a frustrating experience yesterday. I wanted to find out my UOB account number so that I could make payment. So I dialed the main customer service line, and soon got connected to an officer who tried to "assist" me.

Our conversation went as follows:

Me: "Hi, I'll like to find out my account numbers as I'd like to make payment."

UOB lady: "Can I have your name/NRIC/date of birth for verification?"

Me: (Dutifully gave her all she needed)

UOB Lady: "Please hold on the line for a while."

[After a LONG while...]

UOB Lady: "Do you have your phone banking pin?"

Me: "Uh... No."

UOB Lady: "Then do you have your NETS card?"

Me: "Uh... No."

UOB Lady: "Well, I need your phone banking pin to help you retrieve your account number."

Me: "Hah? I don't have it. Can't you just check for me?"

UOB Lady: "Do you have out internet banking account?"

Me: "No."

UOB Lady: "Just to let you know Mdm, you can check your account number if you have your phone banking pin. You can also go to any of our ATMs to check your account numbers. Or you can use your ibanking account to check."

Me: "Okaaaay.... But I just told you I don't have my phone banking pin. I don't know what it is. If I had my phone banking pin or ibanking pin, I would have just gotten the account number myself. But I don't so I need your help."

UOB Lady: [repeating herself AGAIN] "Just to let you know Mdm, you can check your account number if you have your phone banking pin. You can also go to any of our ATMs to check your account numbers. Or you can use your ibanking account to check."

Me: "Can't you just give me please?"

UOB Lady: "Please hold on, let me check..."

[Once again put me one hold! For a long long while!]

Disclaimer: The sequence of events are a bit muddled cos it happened yesterday. In short, apart from ALL the above questions, she also asked me what was the amount I intended to pay and how I was going to make payment. That was the strangest. What had that question have to do with verifying who I was? And it was an amount I was GOING to pay WHEN UOB released my account number to me. Strange strange strange... So I was going to use the AXS machine to pay. So what? So I want to pay up $10 or $100 or $1000, so what? Why ask me that question? I haven't paid up yet... And why should I tell the officer how much I was intending to pay? I didn't understand and she couldn't give me a satisfactory answer when I asked her.

She even told me to WAIT for my next bill to come to get my account number. Sigh. Wouldn't I incur late payment finance charges then? (If she offered to waive that, it'd be a different story altogether. But nope... she didn't.)

It ended off with me asking (actually insisting) she get someone to call me back who can actually provide me with my account number.

And when I asked her how soon someone would call me back, she couldn't even commit a time. What customer service... I wasn't expecting a 2-hour call back, but at least tell me and assure me that someone would call me within the next 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or even 10 working days la!

This conversation lasted for a good 12 minutes and 45 seconds (I know... cos my office phone has a 'timer'). Just to get 1 simple piece of information... 1 line of numbers.

And it is FRUSTRATING.

I used to work in DHL and I was a customer service officer. Now, I help out occasionally to answer incoming calls in the office as well.

So I believe strongly in good customer service.

Please wake up, UOB.I just need my account number. Cos I was dumb, I admit. I lost my bill. Yes, I don't have any ibanking or phone banking or atm pin number. But I WANT TO PAY UP. I DO. Seriously. I just need my account number.

To date: I still don't have my account number. SIGH.

 

Well... that was my ranting for the day! Hahaha... Just need to let off some steam.

No comments: