Friday, March 29, 2013

Review: The new Philips AVENT Natural bottles

As a first-time mummy, I remember a couple of years back, I had to make many buying decisions. Pram – all-terrain, lightweight or sturdy? Cot or playpen? Disposable diapers or cloth diapers? Baby sling or carrier, ergonomic or not? And not to mention the myriad of brands to choose from for all kinds of items like bath gels and diaper creams and even pacifiers!

The bottle is another huge decision to make, and with so many brands in the market, I had no clue where to start, really. So thankfully for an informal support group of other mummies in my workplace, I was introduced to the various brands out there, and eventually settled on Philips AVENT for Jay.

Bottles bought. But unfortunately Jay had other plans. And in the Nursery where I placed him from three months old, he was resistant to the bottle teat, and took a long, long time to finish his feed each and every time, screaming and flinching every other moment. I was relieved when he finally learnt how to sip from a straw before he turned one, and that was how we fed him any form of liquids!

Xav was a much easier baby, in the bottle aspect.

photo In fact, even Daddy could easily feed Xav up (a feat he wasn’t up to for Jay)

photo When Philips AVENT launched its brand new Natural range of bottles, they were kind enough to send over a few bottles for Xav to test out as well!

IMG_0332Comparing the old and the new.

As you can see, there are some pretty big changes with the shape of the bottle. The more ergonomic shape makes it easier to grip, and aesthetically more pleasing on the eye to boot!

 IMG_0336The shape of the bottle teat has also seen some major change – and I personally like that the length of the teat has been reduced, as I’ve always felt it’s been a little too long for a small newborn. It also fits better into the bottle, reducing leakage.

The old design comes with the adaptor ring, which goes around the neck of the bottle before screwing on the cap. And sometimes in my sleep-deprived hazy nights (and some days), I’d forget to put on the rings and pooof! Out spills the milk! Well, I am happy to report that the new Natural bottles have since done away with the additional ring, making them easier to put together. As any Mummy having to feed the kids at 3 a.m. in the morning will attest to, 3 seconds saved is 3 seconds more to sleep. Simply precious.

Unless the old range, which comes in 3 different sizes (4, 9 and 11 ounces), the new Natural bottle comes in only 2 sizes (4 and 9 ounces). Which suits me fine since Xav doesn’t drink more than 9 ounces at a single feed. The bottle teats continue to come in 4 different feeding flows.

Preparing for my third kid also means I have yet another few months of breast milk expressing, and bottle feeds ahead *gulp!* So I am happy to have the chance to fully test out the new bottles on her!

Disclaimer: This advertorial post is a part of a series of conversations between Philip AVENT Singapore and SANses. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Philips Avent Banner

No comments: