Monday, May 28, 2012

Musings on being a Singapore Mummy Blogger [plus my first Linky Party!]

I started blogging in maybe 2005, but it was only with the birth of Jay that I really started blogging in earnest, as a way to record where we’d been and what we’ve been up to as a family.

Often when acquaintances first learn that I have a blog, they usually have one of these reactions:

“Oh? You blog?”
In other words: You’re a narcissist, aren’t you?

“Oh! You blog?”
In other words: Who wants to read about your life?

“Wow! You blog?”
In other words: You must have a lot of time on your hands.

“Wow! You blog?”
In other words: Man… I’ve always wanted to start a blog too… but it’s been two years and I’m still just talking about it.

“Huh? What’s a blog?”
In other words: Time to get out of your lil hole in the ground, my friend.

“Ooh… a blog”
In other words: Ka-ching $$$ !

Well, I am not a narcissist, nor do I harbour any illusions that my life is so addictively engaging. I am also one busy bee with a full-time job AND two kids to juggle. And I don’t make nearly as much money from my blog as some might think. (Not yet anyways… haha!)

The reasons why I blog? Cos I love it! I enjoy the process of taking pretty photos. I may not convert every outing to a blog entry (because… well… I am busy! Haha!) but the process of composing a blog entry and thinking what topic to blog about is fun and relaxing for me! In my job which requires me to do a lot of writing of the more formal kind, my blog allows me to write in a much more long-winded relaxed manner. I also love writing about my two boys, and this is my “scrapbook” for them. Like how my parents used to keep stacks and stacks of Kodak photo albums full of old photos, this is my album for Jay & Xav, complete with Mummy’s ramblings! I am looking forward to the day that Jay (and Xav) will be proficient enough to read this blog and I hope it will entertain them thoroughly. I know my niece reads my blog faithfully (Hi Petrina!) and my sis in law shows the grandparents the latest pics of their precious ones. So while we may be in the same little island, we do not get the chance to meet all the time, so the blog is a good way for them to keep in touch with how we are and how the kids are doing. How knows? God may also open up an opportunity for Nic to do his PhD back in Sydney and this blog may eventually become a tool of communication with our loved ones back in Singapore!

In the last few months, I’ve had the opportunity to meet up with other fellow Singapore Mummy bloggers! It’s like being in some “secret society” – the good kind! Haha! And we all have our stories to tell on how and why we started on this blogging journey. I’ve met so many new and good bloggers through this group, and I find great enjoyment from reading their tales, and knowing that I am neither alone (nor lonely!) in my mummy-hood journey.

And therefore I think it apt… that I start my very first Linky Party in order of other Mummy (and Daddy) bloggers!

Link on up… and share how you got started blogging and why you’re still at it!

Have a great week ahead!

No comments: