Saturday, May 26, 2012

An afternoon at the Stables

There are some nice restaurants that I’ve always wanted to bring my kids to. The Marmalade Pantry, for one. Having heard of its yummy desserts, and when I learnt they recently opened a new outlet (Pantry at the Stables), it made it twice as necessary to do so! Pony-riding AND desserts? Double score on the cool-mama scale.

And I was so happy to receive an invite from my friends at FoodNews, inviting me for a food tasting at this restaurant.

And having gone there, I now realise. While there are some restaurants that my kids will enjoy, there are also many times I will enjoy it even more sans kids! Haha… Of course, I recognize this is true for most times, cos eating with kids means… it is either a shovel and gobble or a pick and swallow. You know, when you either have the shovel down the spoonfuls of rice or noodles in between their screams or if the food’s a little trickier, you just kinda pick on it and swallow.

Multi-tasking at its finest.

But back to the restaurant! There is a special Father’s Day menu to be launched, and it looks to appeal to that special man’s stomach!

It is a three-course meal, starting with a simple and hearty Crab Cakes.

IMG_7061A

The moment I bit into this, I knew … that Jay would adore this, as he is a huge crab-lover! Succulent and you can see the bits of crab meat instead of the usual mush this sort of dish comes in.

There are two choices of the main course: Pan Seared Skirt Steak or the Linguini Aglio Olio with Crispy Pork Belly. We decided to try the linguini cos seriously the crispy pork belly sounds irresistible to us!

IMG_7064A

Mmm-hmm! As yummy as it looks. The aglio olio was nicely done, and the pork belly was divine. I can imagine Nic finishing this in the drop of a hat!

The dessert is a Bittersweet Chocolate Torte. The best part of this 3-course meal is that it will not break your bank account! It is at a very affordable $49++ per person! If you want to give a father a special treat, I’d definitely recommend making a trip to the Pantry at the Stables. This promotion runs only from 12 to 17 June 2012!

Pantry at the Stables is located at 55 Fairways Drive, Singapore 286846
For reservations, call (65) 6467 7748, or email
enquiry.stables@themarmaladepantry.com.sg for more information.

---

And you would think we’d be pretty stuffed after a three-course meal. Of course, we normally would be! But how can we make a trip here without taking a go at its desserts? I mean, especially at the sight of these beauties.

IMG_7053A

IMG_7057A

Gor-geous! Our diets postponed, we decided to forgo the dessert of the Father’s Day menu, and we ordered the Afternoon Tea Set for two (at $20 per person).

IMG_7071A

Just look at the array of desserts! The highlights for me was the buttermilk scones, strawberry preserve and the clotted cream. Oh! Clotted cream… I am a new convert. Love love LOVED this!

The tea set also comes with one of those lovely cupcakes, and after much deliberation, we decided to try the Red Velvet and May’s special cupcake of the month – the Apple Cobbler.

IMG_7073A

 IMG_7074A

That, with the cup of Earl Grey Gryphon tea, and the company of two girls made the entire afternoon pass by in a jiffy! It may have been the good food or the sweet treats (or both, probably) but it hardly felt like a “formal” media food tasting, and more like three girl-friends out on a date! Haha! As much as the food was good for my soul, the company was even better.

Will I be back for the afternoon high tea? Oh, for sure! So I reckon… my kids will come for the Father’s Day meal. But afternoon tea speaks of leisurely nibbles of cupcakes and clotted creams, and therefore, a good leave-the-kids-with-grandma excuse!

No comments: