Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review: Gobblet Gobblers

I was given the chance to try out this brand new game for a couple of days: Gobblet Gobblers.

And just looking at the cheery cover and those cheeky grins is enough to make you smile!

IMG_7408A

This game has a familiar premise… Tic-tac-toe, but with a twist! The aim is simply to get a row of your tokens in a row – horizontally, vertically or across.

IMG_7404A

Each player gets a total of 6 tokens – 2 small, 2 medium and 2 large.

I explained to Jay how to play, and as he recently learnt about small, medium and large (小 中 大) in school, he quickly caught on the fun part of the game. That the larger token can literally “gobble” up the smaller one! And during your turn, you can also use a token that is in play to move to another spot, which also means the “usual” tic-tac-toe gameplay takes on a new dimension.

The recommended age for this game is for ages 5 & above. Jay could understand the gobbling part very well (and loved gobbling up my poor little fellas), but he had difficulty trying to “spot” the 3-in-a-rows at first till I pointed them out to him. However, he still managed to beat me in the first two games we played! Haha! (And I didn’t try to purposefully lose out to him at that… sigh…)

Well, I loved this take on a game I loved as a kid, and I expect to have a few more good games with Jay!

You may have noticed I have been playing a few games with Jay, mostly on loan from Pamela who is passionate about board games! After trying out Jurassic Wars, I even purchased a set for Jay! I personally feel these board games are great fun for the family, and allows for some seriously fun family bonding!

Games time is also a great opportunity to teach Jay a very important principle… how to be a gracious loser. Once, I played Froggy Boogie with Jay (which he thoroughly loved!) and on the first round, he won me by a mile! So he wanted another round, which I obliged. A few turns in, I was leading him by a bit, and he started to become upset, which led to him not concentrating and thereby not being able to win me – cos the game is all a matter of simple memorization.

It took just another 2-3 rounds and Jay insisted that he had “enough” and started picking up the pieces to keep.Which meant I had the chance to have a long conversation with him, about learning to lose graciously. I also introduced a new catchphrase to him then: “It is just a game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!”

And ain’t that the truth?! :)

[I also realised that there is a version of this game for older kids/adults – called Gobblet which features a 4 by 4 square and slightly more refined rules and it seems so fun! You can check these games out and more on myfirstgames.sg]

Disclaimer: The games were loaned to us for review. I did not receive any payment, monetary nor in kind, in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own and not influenced by any external sources.

No comments: