Sunday, September 19, 2010

Different kinds of kids

I brought Jay to Polliwogs over the weekend, for some fun and great play-time.

I mean, I can't think of a better place for him to expend HIS energy while allowing me to conserve mine. Haha!

In the midst of the cacophony of squeals of joy and screams for attention, I think it is safe enough to say that kids at playgrounds probably fall into these categories:

image

1) The Screamers. Gosh. U can hear them from a mile. High-pitched wails. It doesn't matter if they are crying out in joy or cos another kid took their toy, but their screams are enough to induce a migraine for the other parents (and kids, I'm sure!) there. If they're young, it's still pretty adorable, and they can still (probably) get away with it to a certain extent. But 6 to 7 year olds screaming to get their way? Not a pretty picture. The older they get, the more grating it becomes.

2) The Lie-rs. Nope, I'm not talking about imaginative or un-factual talk here. It's that brats, I mean, kids that, failing to get their way, just plop over and roll along the carpeted floor, refusing to get up or be cajoled. Usually this is accompanied by whines and over-indulgent parents/maids.

3) The Followers. Usually younger and not as agile as their Leader (an older sibling or cousin), and toddles after them, trying desperately to catch up.

4) The Budding Gymnasts. You know the kind. Why slide down when you can do a somersault? Why walk when you can do a couple of kicks in the air and risk taking out someone's eye?

How about my Jayvon? Hahaha... U guessed it. He's 5) The Talker. "Mommy, wait here for me, I go and sit in the rocket/play with the balls/touch the moon, and then I come back." "Mommy! I am here!" "Let's go down the slide into the balls!" "I don't want to go home yet. Let's play some more." "I want to drink ribena/eat M+Ms, fries, chips..."

Amazing what insights a little trip to the playground can give you! Haha!

No comments: