Monday, November 17, 2008

No more BlackBerry ...

... For President Obama (that is), come January 2009 when he takes office.

I saw this headline in My Paper this morning, and thought, "Huh? But why?"

And then realized that America has a Presidential Records Act, which puts each email into the official record - for the purposes of public access and subpoenas.

For all the perquisites and power afforded the president, the chief executive of the United States is essentially deprived by law and by culture of some of the very tools that other chief executives depend on to survive and to thrive. Mr. Obama, however, seems intent on pulling the office at least partly into the 21st century on that score; aides said he hopes to have a laptop computer on his desk in the Oval Office, making him the first American president to do so.

Source: NY Times (15 Nov 08)

Wow... So that means no other president had a laptop computer???? Yes, he is going to be the most powerful man in the world, but bereft of a Blackberry or even a laptop.

As for me? I'm no President of no country so it's still safe for me to hold on to my Bold. =)

No comments: